As a Primary English trainee with us, you will:
- have a mentor and/or class teacher who is a English specialist
- be part of the First Federation Trust English network group
- work with an English SLE through the year (minimum one per term)
- be able to access all additional English training
- have your ‘enrichment week' shadowing a English or Oracy specialist
- have your placement schools at one of our English or Oracy specialist schools
During your training amount of direct contact with your class is:
- Term one: 50% contact/50% non-contact
- Term two: 60% contact/40% non-contact
- Term three: 70% contact/30% non-contact
As your teaching commitment increases, so your university set assignments decrease.
As a Primary English trainee, you will also be required to train in the whole primary curriculum in your school placements; we provide 12 Subject Knowledge Days delivered by talented ‘FLEs’ and teachers who have expertise in a range of curriculum areas. We also offer five afternoon workshops in the final term, delivering information on curriculum areas and educational issues of your choice so that you can ‘lead your training’.
We organise six ‘teach meets’ during the year when you are able to meet your fellow trainees to discuss and share teaching strategies and methodology that has been observed in the classroom.
Our expertise covers many specialisms of education: childhood development, early years, English, literacy and wellbeing.
As well as working with outstanding teachers you will also be able to participate in CPD offered to permanent teaching staff.